About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is John Dillon! This blog is dedicated to showing my love for flying.I am only starting my training right now, but I hope that through the years this blog will reflect my progress, and hopefully close with me entering a new career. I love the great out doors as well. I hope that some day i am able to combine my love for the outdoors, and my love for flying, and land in Alaska. Hopefully you will get to see that outcome on here as well. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the blog!

Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

weather...what a buzz kill. ;)

 Huston we have a problem,
 That's a no go for launch, repeat thats a no go.


 Well that was my third lesson, but not my third flight.
 The great thing about learning to fly in Oregon is you finish your training with experience in a wide variety of weather situations.. However the annoying thing about learning to fly in Oregon is sometimes you are hindered by that very same weather..actually a lot of the time. During the winter of course.

 Even though we did not get to go flying, James and I had a good time hanging out and talking about airplanes. Granted we spent more time talking about how they worked, but hey, talking about planes is talking about planes right? 

  The book work is actually really interesting. Knowing how the airplane works helps a lot when your in the air and feel something thats not quiet normal.You can quickly diagnose a possible solution, or if need be, you can foresee a larger problem, and make it to a landing strip before something bad happens.
 When i get discouraged about sitting and just doing book work instead of being able to fly,  I think of  Captain "Sully" Sullenberger, and how he knew exactly what to do because he was able to figure out exactly what was wrong. He was able to diagnose the problem, and decide on a solution before it became a disaster that could have ended to tragically for so many people.

 We talked about fuel system, the oil system, the instruments, the construction/structure and the landing gear.
We also talked about some of the problems the some the instruments can have, and how to avoid, or correct for those problems.
  Lots of information to take in all at once, but i'm glad that we can make good use of the things that good Ole Oregon has to throw at us!



  Huston...we have Preflight done, we are ready for take off when the weather clears!

Okay so we may have sidetracked to some talk about snowboarding and stuff like that, but hey, give a guy some slack ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment