About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is John Dillon! This blog is dedicated to showing my love for flying.I am only starting my training right now, but I hope that through the years this blog will reflect my progress, and hopefully close with me entering a new career. I love the great out doors as well. I hope that some day i am able to combine my love for the outdoors, and my love for flying, and land in Alaska. Hopefully you will get to see that outcome on here as well. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the blog!

Blog Archive

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Delivery flight!

James and I had a great day flying yet again today. We have been battling the weather, as it has been stormy and rainy for the last few weeks.. but today it was forecast to be nice..for at least the morning. So right after i got off of work at 6 15 am, I went home, took a shower got cleaned up, ate some dinner, studied for a few minutes, then went flying! Betty Stark, the owner of the flight school, asked us to do her a favor and fly out to scapoose industrial to pick up a magneto for one of the other airplanes.  Taking advantage of some nice weather, James and I took off from twin oaks and made our way to Scapoose!
 Now i know i say this every flight, but what a gorgeous flight. In the morning, there is still some frost on the ground, the sky was mostly clear, and it was very very calm.Just a great day to fly. On the way out there, James had me practice some steep turns again, some stalls, (both power on and power off) and some slow flight.

 The steep turns i was having a little bit of a problem with today.. i'm not exactly sure why. I was having a lot of trouble keeping the plane at altitude. OH well! Great practice day.
 Also got to land at scapoose.. that was interesting! on final i was a pretty high, so James took over for a few minutes, and showed me how to land with a forward slip! Very interesting! That is definitely something that i am going to have to practice! He got the airplane into a slip, then gave the controls back to me so that i could feel it.. But he wanted me to come out of the slip and land the airplane.. Well,.... coming out of the slip didn't work so great i kept to much rudder in, way to late, then let it out really fast, so we set down kind of angled to one side..and just a tad bit hard. That was only the third or fourth time that i have ever landed a plane however so i wasn't going to complain.
 After we visited Trans-western to pick up that mag,  we headed back towards twin oaks. This time, we cranked in the power so that we could get back.  We had been practicing some steep turns, to try to get a handle on them before we landed, and realized that we were a little bit over our time so we got set up to land. We were extremely close to the twin oaks, so James, with that wonderful sense of humor that he has, reaches over and pulls my throttle to idle again!Says to me "there, you have had an engine failure, now fly the plane to twin oaks and lets land" Well, we were at about 3,000 feet, so i had plenty of time to maneuver towards the field. when we were abeam the numbers, James decided i had enough engine off practice for the day, so he stated "ok you have your motor back, lets get in"
Well i was a little bit relieved at that point, until i turned final, and saw the sidewalk i had to land on!
Compared to landing at aurora or scapoose, twin oaks is a very very small strip.I felt like i had a lot of room to land and make corrections..but when we got to twin oaks, I didn't have that room! I guess you really learn how to land an airplane!
 Great flight. A little bit frustrated with the rust that seems to be after a week or two of not flying. But i am excited to just be progressing.
 I am going to start looking for an aviation related job also.. so that may help.
 well thats all for now!
Not my picture, just wanting to diagram a slip landing.
 cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment