About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is John Dillon! This blog is dedicated to showing my love for flying.I am only starting my training right now, but I hope that through the years this blog will reflect my progress, and hopefully close with me entering a new career. I love the great out doors as well. I hope that some day i am able to combine my love for the outdoors, and my love for flying, and land in Alaska. Hopefully you will get to see that outcome on here as well. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the blog!

Blog Archive

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Finally back!

I'm flying again!!!
 James got back a few weeks ago, but we haven't been able to fly because of weather.. 
 But today it was the most "spring" day possible!
 Well we took advantage of it! And i'm am glad we did!
 
We went up and started with the basics again, because 
I haven't flown in a few months.However I quickly realized that I was picking it up again pretty well!

 James decided to fly over to Mcminville Mun. for our landing practice today..Mostly because Aurora was socked in by some low fog and clouds. Getting over to Mcminville, we practiced some slow flight, stalls, steep turns, etc. Pretty much all of the basics. Then for the first landing, I was a little bit high, and pretty much forced the airplane to land.Which doesn't work. After touch down, we clean everything up, hit the power, and head up again, for another touch and go. The second landing was MUCH better, still a little bit high, but I allowed the airplane to float down. So best two out of three, I decided to try it one more time..However...the third time didn't turn out to be the charm this time.. James had to help me out, because again, I flared to high, and ended up "ballooning" up away from the runway because I had to much speed.So to correct for this, again, I attempted to force the airplane to the ground. Had James not helped me, we may not have flown away with a nose wheel!
 Well...it may not have been that bad..but it would have been a nose heavy landing for sure!
  After those three landings, we decided to head back. On our way, we passed the Newberg VOR at about 2500ft msl. This is my favorite area in all of the Portland area. I love being able to look out one wing, see mountains, look out the other, see more mountains, and see valleys on either side of bald peak.. it is just gorgeous. I will attempt to get a picture next time I am up there.
My final landing was back at the home field of twin oaks. Flew the pattern well, and ended up putting it down right on the center line. A little bit bumpy, but all in all it was a good landing I believe.

 Things I need to work on:
     1) following a flow, on the checklists, and in the cockpit
      2) Maintaining altitude and heading..
      3) V Speeds. Need to remember what the airplane is going to do and where!

I heard that this decent weather is suppose to continue through the weekend, so I have scheduled a flight with James tomorrow as well.. so I will post again tomorrow evening.

 Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment